Tomato Figs

Friday, October 4, 2013

the lonely pumpkin

{the zinnia pumpkin // summer lives on}


It's 90˚F outside, and it's October 5th. But it's also Arkansas. 
No matter what the weather might be, it's fall. And fall means some seriously good cookin'.
Summer is tastiest season of the year, mainly because just about everything is in season, and no matter how you prepare it, cooked, baked, steamed, raw, you name it, it is going to be delicious. Ever eaten a raw potato? It's alright, but you probably won't be going back for more.

Fall, though, brings roasted goodness.  Baked goods come back with fistfuls of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, anise, cardamom plus some and delightfully shoves it in your face.
And then of course comes the pumpkin craze. Rightfully so. I mean, have you ever tried some? Da bomb. 

Yesterday was a very independent day. Did not talk to anyone in person, besides the coffee guy, and it was wonderful. I am very much a loner, relishing in those moments when it is just you and your thoughts, even if you are amidst a crowd. And being able to just observe and take in the world around you.

But last night, after I had finished my pre-packaged noodles (don't be hatin'), I realized I hadn't made anything. I pretty horrendous at sticking with a goal, except if it's my job because I adore and devote myself to it-while I am there.  Although I'm dedicated, fast and a hard worker, and responsible at my job, I'm pretty apathetic, slow and lazy, and irresponsible (to a certain extent) in life.  Excelling at the job part, working on the life part.  

But last night! Last night I quickly decided to bake something. Changing my computer backdrop to a vibrant, autumn forest led me to pumpkins. Pumpkin muffins. So off to the store I went, and soon fall filled my apartment.

Day 3 of the shut down turned out to be a success. 2 out of 3 now ain't too shabby.  

After looking at a couple of different recipes (it's just what I do), I made these. Really, I heavily followed one recipe, but I added more and made adjustments. So here is a taste of fall. Make them when you are alone or with friends, either way you'll be happy you did.
                                                                                                                          

Pumpkin Muffins (Gluten Free (duh))
Makes around 12 standard size muffins.


Ingredients: 
2+* cups of almond meal
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/4-1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 1/2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice
3 eggs
1 1/2+* cups of pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
1/4+* cup honey

Steps: 
[1] Preheat the oven to 350˚F. [2] Mix the almond meal, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice in a bowl. [3] In a separate bowl mix the pumpkin puree, eggs, and honey together until well incorporated. [4] Slowly add the flour mixture. Make sure it gets well incorporated by breaking up any of the clumps that form from the flour mix.** [5] Place muffin liners in a muffin tin. [6] Place a big dollop of the mixture into the liners. You should fill them close to the top. [7] Pop into the oven for 30-40 minutes.*** [8] Take them out and enjoy!


These are seriously delicious. I see them getting an upgrade soon with some walnuts, possibly some chocolate chips (oh yes please). And if we really wanna get fancy-some homemade cream cheese frosting (c'mon y'all)

Oh fall, I'm so glad you are here.


I added more than this, but just a spoonful or more. It helped, I think. But a "spoonful" is just a guesstimate. If your heart (belly) is telling you to put more in, just go for it. Listen with your heart, you will understand.
** Seriously, make sure that it looks well incorporated. I only had a whisk at hand, and these muffins definitely have a crunch to them. Personally, love that. However, not for everyone. So if that ain't yo thang, then break those suckers up until it looks smooth.
*** When I looked at them after 30 minutes, I decided they needed more time. Stick a tooth pick in them to see if any crumbs stick to the tooth pick, if so stick them back in. If you want the to get browner on top, stick them in for an additional 5-10 minutes. Just keep an eye on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment